Thursday 6 November 2014

a moment of courage

So a couple of days ago we had a life journey win for my youngest daughter, Jade.  Since moving four weeks ago we are just starting to meet the neighbours in our new little culdesac.  We live down a long driveway and we have a good hill to get back up to get to the street.  It is a calm quiet peaceful place with no traffic noise at all even though we are so close to busy roads.  Our trees are full of Fantails and Tuis (as well as many others that I have no idea of the names of!) and the music they make is unreal.  It's like having your own little forest in your backyard.

It started a few days ago when Jade and I were on our way walking to school.  We had just made our way huffing and puffing to the top of our drive and we were on a mission because she hates being late to school. The neighbour at the top of the drive managed to catch us to make some introductions. Turns out that they have three children too, and their youngest was the same age as Jade and their second child was only a year older than her.  As Jade and I walked away repeating the new names over and over so as not to forget and Jade trying very hard to compose herself at the thought of being late to school, we decided that maybe that would be fun having friends up the drive.

Two days later she wanted to go and scooter up in the culdesac and so I suggested that if she felt brave enough she could ask the neighbours if they wanted to play too.  She looked at me and her little eyes were filled with doubt while my husband was horrified and having kittens at the uncoolness of my suggestion.  He quickly tried to talk her out of my suggestion but I told him and his cool genes to be quiet!  She didn't go and ask them, her little frown telling me she was worrying about what they would say so I didn't push it but just let her mull it over.

Five minutes later she came back and with a little hope in her voice, asked if I was sure that was an acceptable thing to do.  I said to her that if she was too shy to ask and they were too shy to ask then no one would ask and no one would get to play.  I also reminded her that someone had to make the first move and asked her what was the worst thing that could happen.  After a little thought she told me it was them saying no.  So I reminded her she didn't have to do it but that in my opinion if she could live with a no then it was worth the risk.

She took a deep breath, found her courage, took the plunge and went and knocked on their door! The best bit is that they said yes!!

I love that her desire to have playmates won out over her fear of stepping out and that as a result for the last three days the three of them have been inseparable.  Makes my heart so happy to see her playing outside, running around, happy and laughing with new friends that all came about from her moment of courage!

Life lesson for the little one in the house - sometimes you have to make the first move even when it's scary and that one moment of courage can result in many moments of joy!

So between Jade's new culdesac club and the new skateboard purchased with birthday money by my eldest, all three children are spending hours amusing themselves outside at the end of the day.  I find myself breathing in the peace and contentment while children's chatter and giggles float in on the gentle early evening, almost summer, breeze.  This is what life is about!


Sneaky photo of the culdesac club exploring the backyard
Another sneaky photo of the skateboarding action out front
Take care and till then

1 comment:

  1. Go Jade! I can just image her frown Kelly! Reading your blog made me feel happy and I'm glad those tough choices you all have made lately are bearing fruits!

    ReplyDelete