Monday 9 June 2014

something is a brewing...

I have a project brewing inside of me, it's not quite ready for action but it is getting tantalisingly close, so much so that when I think about it I get butterflies in my tummy knowing it is going to be fun and looking forward to finally getting to put my project into action - finally getting to screen-print!

What???  Screen-printing??  That's right screen-printing!

I have dabbled in this a little, and by a little I mean a very little. When my youngest was a baby I had a desire to try it out and we didn't have lots of surplus cash so I had to be creative with how to screen-print with no money.  I used the crudest of methods which actually made it even more satisfying in the end knowing I had made do with OHP transparency sheets and a craft knife.  I printed the lettering I wanted onto paper and traced it onto the OHP sheet and painstakingly cut out the letters.  I then had to practice a lot on how to use the paint on this without it bleeding around the edges.  Finally I managed to work out how to hold it down firmly as I built up light layers of paint to prevent massive bleeds around the edges.  The little hoodie below is the finished project from nearly eight years ago - pirinitete is the Maori word for princess.  Not too bad for OHP sheets and a craft knife and I just loved this hoodie and was so sad when my youngest outgrew it.

 






So for about six months now I have had a yearning to try my hand at screen-printing again, I hear it calling me wanting me to have a go,  I have even gone so far as to search for wholesale sellers of hoodies to one day screen-print some and sell them.  But the most frustrating bit is that I am just not there yet - what I want to screen-print on the hoodies has just not finished the brewing process.  It is like trying to open an unripe banana and if you get past the completely difficult to open banana skin the actual banana is hard and tastes like crap!  Well for me projects are like this, they need to be left to go through the brewing and ripening process before being started.  I have learnt the lesson the hard way that there is no good that comes from rushing a project before it's time.  So I wait....and wait....and wait....

One day soon I will start this new project and adventure and hopefully have something to share with you but until then...well we let the brewing continue.

Take care and till then




No comments:

Post a Comment