Friday 26 December 2014

...handmade Christmas....tick

Phew - it is done!  The biggest sigh has left my soul after that exhausting few weeks and then chaotic few days leading up to Christmas day.  Work was crazy in the last few frantic days and the present making was a marathon effort but it's all OK because I made it over the finish line!! And now I officially can do whatever the heck I want for the next two weeks....well mostly...sort of...well let's just say more than when I'm not on holiday.

So the end results of all those secret workshops and shrieks of 'close the door' were amazing.  Super proud of the family for getting on board and running with this as it's not that easy to come up with presents to make everyone....and the common theme with the present making was it was particularly hard to come up with what to make Dad!  This includes me as I find guys so hard to make or buy presents for, whether they are younger or older I just find them hard.  Apparently I am easy as to make for because 'you love anything we do Mum' which makes me happy for two reasons.  One because it means to them I am a safe place and two that I am their cheerleader...must be doing something right!  I'm especially glad (and relieved) that they feel comfortable making for me as making a gift for someone can leave you feeling a little vulnerable.  And I know this from experience as there are some people in my world that I love making for as I know they will love anything.  But there are also some people that I get tied in knots over worrying about my homemade gifts being cool enough.  I know it's ridiculous that a nearly 37 year old woman, mother of three, professional accountant and craft lover and maker for years finds making for some of the nieces and nephews an nerve wracking experience with my insecurities at the forefront about what I've made being cool enough!    I think it's fair to say some people in this world get handmade and some people just don't...and that's OK because it makes the world interesting.

Anyway enough rambling, here are the creations made by my family....

My pressies...a quote about hope on a beautiful sunset picture from my hubby as he knows that hope is so important to me, a painted artwork by my youngest with the word 'mother' and what it stands for to her, a sock cow toy and 52 things my eldest loves about me from her and baking and an embroidered  Dr Suess quote that she knows I love from my middle

A close up of the sock cow

My eldests stash - a poem written by Dad and framed, a printed singlet, a birdie xmas tree decoration , macrame bracelets, fudge, hokey pokey and sherbet and stamped quote hoop art from Mum, baking and a turtle felt toy holding a canvas saying how much she is loved by the middle sister and a woollen weaved and decorated bookmark, a movie popcorn box and 'I'll do your jobs for two days' voucher from the littlest sister

The poem Dad wrote for all three girls

The felt turtle with his canvas of love

You can't help but smile when you see this little bookmark



The littlest's loot - printed singlet, monster pencil case, a birdie xmas tree decoration, fudge, hokey pokey and sherbet and button and ribbon bookmarks from Mum, a framed poem from Dad, a balloon ball and baking from the middle sister and paper booklets, a pencil case roll, bracelets and a framed button J from the oldest sister



The middle's pressies - a 'love' cushion, peppermint body scrub, a printed singlet, fudge, hokey pokey and sherbet and a birdie xmas tree decoration from Mum, a framed poem from Dad, two art works from the older sister and a collection of the middle's favourite baking recipes, a decorated box filled with pieces of paper listing things that the youngest loves about her and a 'I'll do your jobs for two days' voucher from the youngest





Dad's treasures - BBQ sauce, BBQ steak rub, steaks, 'manly' hand cream, a birdie xmas tree decoration and a bag to clip onto his bike for his keys and cellphone when he goes for a ride from Mum, a framed and decorated scripture and baking from the middle, a framed poem and magnetic wristband to use for his nails when building things from the eldest and a book listing all the things she loves about his from the youngest




I mean, how can you not feel completely loved and filled up from all that time and effort and thoughtfulness!  

Let me just say that pinterest is awesome!!

Well I hope you all had a lovely Christmas celebrating in your own ways and traditions and mostly giving and receiving love.

As the New Year approaches even though it is somewhat cliched and some may say corny, I love the feeling of hope and anticipation as a fresh new year is on the horizon and I feel some goals brewing in my soul.  

My goal for this week - to come up with my goals, hopes, dreams and desires for 2015.

Take care and till then



1 comment:

  1. This is such a great idea! You must be so proud of your family for jumping on board and making such awesome gifts! Have fun with the goal making :)

    ReplyDelete