Saturday 6 December 2014

look at the garden grow...

Boy has the garden grown...amazing what many rainy warm spring days and some fertiliser can achieve!  The tomato plants are now taller than the little stakes I put in, clearly I didn't believe in the tomato plant growth when I put them in.  There are plenty of pretty little 'tomatoes of tomorrow' flowers on my plants and my little cherry tomato plant actually has it's first ever tomatoes.  So very exciting for a newbie in the garden.  Please don't judge harshly the massive weed content of my garden.  Fertiliser is apparently good for those too!  Short of time and attention they are keeping my veggies company in the interim till the madness of the end of year at work and the Christmas pressie making ceases and the long lazy days of summer begin.  Roll on summer break - you can't come quick enough!

The spinach plants are looking a little picked over at the moment because after becoming what was nearly a spinach jungle,  I finally made my way out there yesterday and cut up a few armful loads of spinach.  I triple washed those bad boys, chopped them up and sealed it in batches in snaplock bags in the freezer.  I have about 12 bags of spinach in there that will be used in cooking and I even chopped it up finely last night for the homemade burger patties, much to the disgust of small onlookers.  But the patties were a hit and the spinach was not even noticed so I will definitely be doing that again.  I'm also going to try finely chopping up in the nacho mix and we will see how that experiment turns out.  I must say I have never eaten so much spinach in my life - it's great when you grow your own, because you don't want your hard work to go to waste so I'm finding I make sure I use it - fascinating!

My eldest helped me make the dinner the other night and we had a big bowl of salad with all sorts and so we made our way to the garden to get the main ingredient.  Love that we can just walk outside for our lettuce, it is just so.....satisfying!  We even picked our first crop of radishes and spring onions, admittedly I am impatient so they are a little on the small side, but fun nevertheless.  

We are already talking about next year and the need for strawberries and I have been asked if I could grow cucumber...my reply...well I don't know I will have to find out!  But I am going to need more room if this keeps up because I already have lettuces squashed in all over the place.

Who would have ever thought that I, a once very vocal adversary to the act of gardening, would be blogging about my own garden!  Wonders never cease....












Take care and till then



No comments:

Post a Comment