Wednesday 3 December 2014

it's the year of the handmade...

So I've had this romantic idea for years about a handmade Christmas.  Often my nose is stuck in some fiction novel set back in the days when land in America was being settled and Christmas presents were things like a pair of knitted socks, a wooden carved ornament, a new handmade dress, a handmade rag doll and the good old peppermint sticks, from the one stop shop in town, that were a real treat.

Now obviously we don't live life like that anymore and it wasn't all romance and handmade presents and I am very thankful for the flush toilet, stretchy knit no iron necessary fabric, hot water showers, washing machines and so many more things I take for granted most days.  But the idea of every gift being handmade just really appeals to me.

Every year for the last quite a few I have made presents for my own children and for nieces and nephews.  I feel as if in spending those hours making I am passing on to them how much I love them.  I have still bought presents as well and for the most part I must admit the money side of life has been a contributing factor in the decision to make presents versus buying for the copious offspring our siblings have produced.  But mostly it is the joy I get from putting so much of myself into their gifts and the process of the making - that is until I have made the same thing 12 times and it's crunch time in the last week before Christmas!

This year the funds are a little tighter than usual due to a few contributing factors but don't worry as we are totally fine and have many luxuries millions have never experienced, however there is not much spare for Christmas pressies this time round.  So I put it to the family that this year we were going for a handmade Christmas and ....crickets...tumbleweed...and that awkward silence that follows when your idea has just gone down like a lead balloon.

I quickly tried to allay the as yet unspoken fear written on their faces by talking about the joy of making, reminding them that Christmas was never meant to be about spending lots of money and that making for each other was going to be fun.  I was the handmade Christmas head cheerleader in full swing - splits, somersaults and flick flacks in my verbal praise of this new idea.

Then...the deluge of questions hit and I was like a ninja warrior fending off doubt with swift answers and a cheerful 'we can do it' attitude.  In one of the brief interludes from the incessant questioning I turned to my now very still and quiet husband and said it would be really nice if he could join in too and make presents for the girls and I....it was as though I had turned up to the party nude!  Stunned silence from all members of the family and I was suddenly feeling very....naked!!  I was starting to feel unsure about my romantic budget conscious plans but like a pioneer woman I grabbed up my skirts and waded in with ideas and thoughts on the process.  Slowly the tension began to ease and I could see the cogs of creativity gradually starting to move in my family's minds.

My middle child was concerned as she said to me 'I can't draw and I don't want to sew...what am I going to make?' and I could see she was feeling as though she was the flaw in my brilliant plan.  So we had discussions about how a handmade present didn't have to be sewn or drawn and that the secret is in sticking with your strengths.  Now this child is an amazing baker and plays the piano beautifully so I suggested baking or writing someone a song and then I had her buying into the idea too.  The oldest was in a similar space but is a really good artist and plays the guitar beautifully.  Suggestions of songs, poems, a small drawing and vouchers were all put out there and now even the husband is exhibiting a little, not too overstated, excitement about the idea.

There has been talk of present making workshops with no access allowed and the excitement, yes that's right it has turned to excitement, in the planning about what to make for who.  Understandably the littlest of the crew has been the biggest fan for this new way to do Christmas and is currently as I write this in full swing in the dining room workshop where no sisters are allowed.

Now it would be really bad form if the instigator of this new way didn't quite get to finishing her own handmade presents for the crew so I have quite a few late nights ahead of me to be sure and I had better get cracking.

So 2014 for the red delicious household is the year of the handmade and I for one can't wait until Christmas day!!





Take care and till then







1 comment:

  1. I love this. LOVE this. I hope you write and share what everyone made and their reactions to the gifts once Christmas is over.

    ReplyDelete